audio controls= autoplay type=DEFPL#.UXPtleCeDV8.blogger expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Brave souls, lost.

Tears stream Down my face as I watch the flag being unfolded and laid on top of the casket. Such a brave man. Gone from this world. I gaze out the window watching the cars that pass by in the lane beside us in the oncoming traffic as we drive from the church to the cemetery. Passing through red lights, Lucky us.
A string of cars with flashing lights in front of us and behind. Anyone in the area watching the funeral procession knows what's about to happen. Perhaps some can relate to us and what we are feeling right now as we are about to lay his body to rest.
Driving through the large graveyard to the predetermined spot.
The servicemen standing by the hers saluting the deceased veteran as his family members carry the casket to the gravesite. Taps is played to Honor Their fellow soldier. Such an emotional moment, watching as the members of the Honor guard remove the flag from the casket, and fold it in a precise pattern.
I can't tell if it is because they have been trained extremely well, or if it's because they are they extremely routined, but they are good at their job. Whether this is just business for them or not there is no mistaking that the look on the soldier's face as he hands the neatly folded flag off to the widow, is a look of contrition at this final notion of respect towards the deceased and towards the mourning family and widow. I don't think anyone wants to be the person who has to do this. It's so final, so upsetting.
He tries to hold back his tears. Very typical for a man in his position. One last salut and they march back to their car. Never to be seen again. Their job here is done and they leave us here to mourn our loss.
I stand with my parents and my sisters and a feeling of numbness washes over me. I don't know what the priest said because I have tuned out the world once the impact of the loss has finally hit me. He is never to be seen again in this lifetime. Gone. But not forgotten.  Who could ever forget him?
With the final act of a single rose being placed on the casket, everyone walks back to their cars after comforting hugs are given.  Why do we have receptions after funerals? To spend time with those you haven't seen in a while? To reminisce about the late family member? Probably both but it seems too soon to laugh about anything.
There's always something to have regret about at a funeral. I wish I never said that, did that, went there..
Personally, I just wish I got to spend more time with you.
RIP Master Sergeant Percy Goody. You will be missed. We love you and we will never forget you.

Song of the day: Waiting on the world to change ~ John Mayer

No comments :

Post a Comment